Discovery Days in Health Sciences
Discovery Days in Health Sciences is a one-day event that give secondary school students and teachers the opportunity to explore a variety of career options in medicine and the health sciences.
Organized by The Canadian Medical Hall of Fame and hosted by the research institute at BC Children's Hospital, the day is comprised of a dynamic keynote lecture, hands-on workshops and a career panel discussion. Students gain a clear picture of what it would be like to be a health professional by interacting with researchers, clinicians and educators in their real-life work setting. (Photos by Kevin Tsai)
The next Discovery Days in Health Sciences will be held at BC Children's Hospital and BC Women's Hospital & Health Care Centre on Friday, December 8, 2017, 8:00am to 3:15pm.
Grade 10-12 students from across the Lower Mainland are eligible to participate but must be selected by a teacher to attend this event. For more information refer to the Student Registration process.
A big thanks to everyone who helped make Discovery Days in Health Sciences a success!
This one-day event brought together 150 students from 60 schools across the Lower Mainland to explore the variety of career options in medicine and health sciences.
What did participants have to say?
- "Overall this was a great experience and I learned a lot more than I expected. I am very impressed and thankful for the efforts of the people who made this event possible. I wish this event could last more than a day. Thank you!"
- "It was an amazing and fascinating opportunity to come and experience this event. I have gained much knowledge about the vast options in health science careers and am confident in pursuing this path."
- "The day was kick-started with a personal and inspiring presentation. By learning about the experiences of other professionals, I learned more about what to expect from my career path to becoming a surgeon. Thank you for this opportunity!"
- "Today was an amazing eye opener. I loved seeing the passion behind all the doctors which encouraged and motivated me even more. I loved seeing the vast array of jobs and the details of education behind them. Keep it up! Great program!!"
- "Thank you so much for this incredible opportunity! I learned a lot of extremely valuable information about careers in the medical field and medical school in general. I liked listening to all the very informative speakers. "
Video recordings of past education events, including these lectures, are available online. These may be useful for classes, or of interest to those who are unable to attend events.
We want to share our latest and greatest with you! For more information on public events and opportunities to get involved in research join our mailing list. For any questions or concerns please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 604-875-2000 x5397.