Does the UBC C&W REB have jurisdiction over my research project? 

Principal Investigators are to submit their applications to the UBC C&W REB if it meets the following criteria:

  • It is a clinical and behavioural research project conducted at the Oak Street campus and its affiliated sites:

    • BC Children’s Hospital and Sunny Hill Health Centre for Children*
    • BC Mental Health and Addiction Services*
    • BC Women’s Hospital & Health Centre*
    • BC Children's Hospital Research Institute
    • BC Mental Health and Addictions Research Institute
    • Women’s Health Research Institute

      *Agencies of the Provincial Health Services Authority 
  • Investigators whose project directly involves patients, records or resources of the Oak Street Campus. Note that this also includes research projects which involve the use of human remains, cadavers, tissue, biological fluids, embryos and/or fetuses.
  • The Principal Investigator is representing themselves as affiliated with the Hospital or the Research Institute (TCPS Article 1.14).

    Please note: Researchers who do not hold a Children's & Women's appointment must appoint an individual who holds a Children's & Women's appointment as site lead or co-investigator for the research.

At the discretion of the Chairs of the UBC affiliated research ethics boards, a submission may be re-directed to a more appropriate REB.  When protocol design and personnel results in the overlapping of jurisdictions of more than one Board, the Board in whose area the research mostly falls and with the most real and substantial connection to the research and the researcher will be designated the Board of Record. The entire protocol will be made available to the members of each relevant Board. 

Last Updated: 02/10/2012