Prior to commencing any human subject research at the Children’s & Women’s Health Centre of British Columbia, researchers must be in possession of two certificates of approval. These are:
- A certificate of ethical approval issued by one of the UBC Research Ethics Boards (UBC C&W REB; UBC PHC REB; UBC CREB; UBC BREB; UBC BCCA REB); and
- A Children's & Women's Institutional Certificate of final approval issued by the Children’s and Women’s Health Centre of British Columbia.
Criteria for Obtaining C&W Approval
(1) Ethics Approval
Prior to initiation of the research, Children’s and Women’s Health Centre of BC must provide written approval of all human subject research that includes any of the following:
- All clinical and behavioural research projects conducted at the Oak Street campus and its affiliated sites including:
- BC Children’s Hospital and Sunny Hill Health Centre for Children*
- BC Mental Health & Addiction Services*
- BC Women’s Hospital & Health Centre*
- BC Children's Hospital Research Institute
- BC Mental Health and Addiction Research Institute
- Women’s Health Research Institute
* Agencies of the Provincial Health Services Authority
- Studies for which the Principal Investigator holds appointments with the Children’s & Women’s Health Centre of British Columbia, which directly involve patients, records or resources at Children’s & Women’s. Note that this also includes research projects which involve the use of human remains, cadavers, tissue, biological fluids, embryos and/or fetuses.
(2) Program and Resource Utilization forms
Program and Resource Utilization forms are required if your research project uses a particular BC Children's or BC Women's program or resource. Once completed and signed by the appropriate program or resource areas, scanned forms can either be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org (be sure to include your H number in the subject line) or submitted as hard copies to the UBC C&W REB Office.
The Children's & Women's Institutional Certificate of Approval will list ONLY those C&W services/hospital areas that have issued approval for the research to be conducted in their areas.
Please note that for all programs that fall under BC Women’s Hospital & Health Centre, as per BC Women's policy, the signature of the Program Director/Manager, Medical Director and President of BC Women's are required.
>> Download Program and Resource Utilization forms
(3) Clinical Trial Agreement or Contract (If Applicable)
If your study requires a Clinical Trial Agreement or Contract, a fully executed copy of the Clinical Trial Agreement or Contract must be on file with the Clinical Trials and Contracts office.
If you have any questions relating to Clinical Trial Agreements or Contracts, please contact the UBC CW REB.
Last Updated: 02/09/2012