The following applies to students interested in participating in the Summer Student Program. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure the application package is complete and received by the competition closing date.
Want to know more? Please contact email@example.com.
Do I need to have a supervisor before I apply?
Yes, before applying students must establish a research supervisor. It is up to the applicants to contact potential supervisors.
What is the research project I will be working on?
It is up to the supervisor and student to determine the details of the research project. Some research teams will have an established project for summer students, other research teams will provide support for a student-led project.
How do I download the application forms?
All award application forms are formatted as fillable Adobe PDFs that can be saved. The application package will download as a Zip file. After clicking the link to download the application, the browser window should ask to "Open" or "Save" the file from bcchr.ca. If you have any problems or concerns downloading the application contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Can I re-apply for the program?
Yes! Students can apply for the program multiple years. However, material submitted in previous applications are not available to reviewers. All information required for the evaluation of the application should be contained in the application and re-submitted each year.
What does the program cost?
Registration for the Summer Student Research Program is FREE. The program does not have any application fees or costs associated with participation.
How do BCCHR Summer Studentships work?
Approximately 17 studentships are given to top ranked students based on scholarly achievement, scientific merit of the proposed project, and the potential benefits applicants will gain from the experience. Students provided with a studentship are funded up to a maximum of 12 weeks between May and August. Funding decisions are made by the end of April. The average GPA for BCCHR studentship winners is approximately 80%.
Students not returning to undergraduate or medical studies in the following fall/winter semester are not eligible to apply for funding. An investigator may submit only one project attached to one applicant. An applicant may submit only one application with one investigator.
Funding is provided for an optional 8, 10 or 12-week period between May and August. Undergraduate and medical students working for 12 weeks will receive a stipend of $4,725, 10 weeks a stipend of $3,937 and 8 weeks a stipend of $3,150. Studentships are administered through the University of British Columbia Payroll Department.
Applicants are NOT ABLE to receive funding from another institute or university for the same type of training during the funding period, with the exception of external awards requiring matched funds. A student who receives external funding requiring matched funds may use the studentship as the match. These exceptions must be approved by the Research Education Office (contact email@example.com for details). Applicants may hold a second job as long as it does not occur during the day, when you are required to work on your project.
Applicants who receive a Summer Studentship are automatically enrolled in the research education program in June and July, participation is expected otherwise funding may be retracted. The studentship start and end date must included a minimum 75 per cent (6 weeks) of this 8 week period.
Should I investigate alternative funding sources?
Yes! Approximately 80 Summer Studentship applications are received each year and funding is limited to 17 studentships. Applicants are encouraged to apply for all other relevant summer student awards and discuss alternative funding sources with their supervisor. Funding for previous applicants has included:
- Allergen - Undergraduate Allergy, Asthma and Anaphylaxis Summer Studentship Research Training Award
- Associated Medical Services / Canadian Society for the History of Medicine - Hannah Summer Studentship
- BC Cancer Agency – Summer Studentships
- Brain Tumour Foundation of Canada – Research Studentships
- Canadian Arthritis Network – Summer Research Program
- Canadian Association of Gastroenterology/Crohn's & Colitis Foundation of Canada – Summer Studentships
- Canadian Blood Services – Summer Internship Program
- Canadian Foundation for Infectious Disease – Undergraduate Summer Research Awards
- Canadian Hemophilia Society – Summer Studentships
- Canadian Liver Foundation – Summer Studentships
- Canadian Rheumatology Association – Summer Studentship Program
- Canadian Society for Mucopolysaccharide & Related Disease – Summer Studentship
- Canadian Stroke Network – Summer Studentships
- Canadian Institute of Health Research – Health Professional Student Research Awards
- Canadian Institute of Health Research – Musculoskeletal Health and Arthritis Studentship
- Cystic Fibrosis Association of Canada – Summer Studentship Award
- Epilepsy Canada – Summer Studentship
- Eye Foundation of Canada – Summer Scholarship Program
- Joint Motion Program – Summer Research Studentship
- endMS Network – Summer Studentship Award
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada – Undergraduate Student Research Awards
- Parkinson's Disease Foundation – Summer Student Fellowship
- Radiological Society of North America – Medical Student Grant
- SIR Foundation – Student Research Grant
- Society for Vascular Surgery – Student Research Fellowship
- Stem Cell Network – Undergraduate Research Training
- University of British Columbia - Department of Pathology & Laboratory Medicine
Summer Student Fellowship
- University of British Columbia – Faculty of Medicine Summer Student Research Awards
- University of British Columbia – Pharmaceutical Sciences Summer Student Research Program
To apply for funding, are all transcripts required?
Yes, transcripts for all post-secondary courses must be submitted. Copies of an original transcript should be scanned and sent electronically. Screen prints of student online accounts will not be accepted. If marks are not complete, please submit the most up-to-date marks. For foreign transcripts a certified English translation and a clear explanation of the grading system must be included.
- 1st Year Undergraduate students: Grade 12 transcript, transcripts for all post-secondary courses and UBC GPA Calculator
- 2nd, 3rd & 4th Year Undergraduate students: Transcripts for all post-secondary courses and UBC GPA Calculator
- Medical students: Transcripts for all post-secondary courses (including medical school transcripts)
Can I include an electronic signature?
Application forms require an applicant, supervisor and the supervisor's head of department signature. Electronic signatures are not accepted. To complete the application form, please print a copy, manually sign and scan as a PDF for submission.