The following applies to students interested in participating in the Summer Student Program. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure the application package is complete and received by the research institute at BC Children's Hospital by the competition closing date. General Guidelines
Summer Studentships Summer Student Education Program
If you have any additional questions or concerns contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Finding a Supervisor - Before applying students must establish a research supervisor. It is up to the applicants to contact potential supervisors.
Applicants are advised to view researchers affiliated with the research community. Contact information is provided so applicants will be able to contact interested researchers directly. Researchers may commit to students well before the application deadline; therefore it is strongly recommended that applicants initiate this process as early as practicable.
Please note, applications for Summer Studentships will only be accepted from investigators based at the Children's and Women's Health Centre of British Columbia, who hold a full academic appointment, and are approved members of the research community. Applications for the Summer Student Research Education Program will be accepted from all investigators based at Children's and Women's Health Centre of British Columbia.
Research Project - It is up to the supervisor and student to determine the details of the research project. Some research teams will have an established project for summer students, other research teams will provide support for a student lead project.
Application Forms - All award application forms are formatted as fillable Adobe PDF's that can be saved. To use the form the applicant must have the latest version of Adobe Reader. For any problems with downloading the application form contact email@example.com.
Previous Submissions - Material submitted in previous applications is not available to reviewers. All information required for the evaluation of the application should be contained in the application.
Application Submission - The application must be submitted electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org. Original copies are not required and paper copies are not accepted. To submit documents that are not electronically generated (ie. the signed application form) scan the documents as a PDF. The application must be received by 4:30pm on the application closing date.
It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure all items from the application checklist have been received by the application closing date. Note an incomplete or late application will not be accepted. The applicant will receive confirmation from the institute once the application has been received.
Costs - Registration for the Summer Student Research Program is FREE. The program does not have any application fees or costs associated with participation.
Approximately 17 studentships are given to top ranked students based on scholarly achievement, scientific merit of the proposed project, and the potential benefits applicants will gain from the experience. Students provided with a studentship are funded up to a maximum of 12 weeks between May and August. Funding decisions are made by the end of April.
Students not returning to undergraduate or medical studies in the following fall/winter semester are not eligible to apply for funding. An investigator may submit only one project attached to one applicant. An applicant may only submit one application with one investigator.
Funding is provided for a 12-week period between May and August. Undergraduate and medical students receive a stipend of $4.725.00. For applicants onsite less than 12-weeks the student's stipend is pro-rated accordingly. Studentships are administered through the University of British Columbia Payroll Department.
Applicants are NOT ABLE to receive funding from another institute or university for the same type of training during the funding period, with the exception of external awards requiring matched funds. A student who receives external funding requiring matched funds may use the studentship as the match. These exceptions must be approved by the Research Education Office (contact email@example.com for details). Applicants may hold a second job as long as it does not occur during the day, when you are required to work on your project.
|Applicants who receive a Summer Studentship are automatically enrolled in the Summer Student Research Education Program in June and July, participation is expected otherwise funding maybe retracted. The studentship start and end date must included a minimum 75% (6 weeks) of this 8 week period. The only exception is UBC Medical Student enrolled in rural practice who are excused while on placement. |
Alternate Funding Sources - Approximately 80 Summer Studentship applications are received each year and funding is limited to 17-25 studentships. Please note applicants are encouraged to apply for all other relevant summer student awards and discuss alternative funding sources with their supervisor. Funding for previous applicants has included -
- Allergen - Undergraduate Allergy, Asthma and Anaphylaxis Summer Studentship Research Training Award
- Associated Medical Services / Canadian Society for the History of Medicine - Hannah Summer Studentship
- BC Cancer Agency – Summer Studentships
- Brain Tumour Foundation of Canada – Research Studentships
- Canadian Arthritis Network – Summer Research Program
- Canadian Association of Gastroenterology/Crohn's & Colitis Foundation of Canada – Summer Studentships
- Canadian Blood Services – Summer Internship Program
- Canadian Foundation for Infectious Disease – Undergraduate Summer Research Awards
- Canadian Hemophilia Society – Summer Studentships
- Canadian Liver Foundation – Summer Studentships
- Canadian Rheumatology Association – Summer Studentship Program
- Canadian Society for Mucopolysaccharide & Related Disease – Summer Studentship
- Canadian Stroke Network – Summer Studentships
- Canadian Institute of Health Research – Health Professional Student Research Awards
- Canadian Institute of Health Research – Musculoskeletal Health and Arthritis Studentship
- Cystic Fibrosis Association of Canada – Summer Studentship Award
- Epilepsy Canada – Summer Studentship
- Eye Foundation of Canada – Summer Scholarship Program
- Joint Motion Program – Summer Research Studentship
- Leukemia and Lymphoma Society of Canada – Studentship Awards
- endMS Network – Summer Studentship Award
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada – Undergraduate Student Research Awards
- Parkinson's Disease Foundation – Summer Student Fellowship
- Radiological Society of North America – Medical Student Grant
- SIR Foundation – Student Research Grant
- Society for Vascular Surgery – Student Research Fellowship
- Stem Cell Network – Undergraduate Research Training
- University of British Columbia - Department of Pathology & Laboratory Medicine
Summer Student Fellowship
- University of British Columbia – Faculty of Medicine Summer Student Research Awards
- University of British Columbia – Pharmaceutical Sciences Summer Student Research Program
Transcripts & GPA Calculator - Transcripts for all post-secondary courses must be submitted. Copies of an original transcript should be scanned and sent electronically. Screen prints of student online accounts will not be accepted. If marks are not complete, please submit the most up-to-date marks. Note for foreign transcripts a certified English translation and a clear explanation of the grading system must be included.
- 1st Year Undergraduate students: Grade 12 transcript, transcripts for all post-secondary courses and UBC GPA Calculator
- 2nd, 3rd & 4th Year Undergraduate students: Transcripts for all post-secondary courses and UBC GPA Calculator
- Medical students: Transcripts for all post-secondary courses (including medical school transcripts)
Signatures - Application forms require an applicant, supervisor and the supervisor's head of department signature. Electronic signatures are not accepted. To complete the application form, please print a copy, manually sign and scan as a PDF for submission. Note the UBC Research Project Information Form is not required for the Summer Studentship application.
Summer Student Research Education Program
Externally funded students (non-BC Children's Hospital Studentship funding) interested in participating in the Summer Student Research Education Program must submit the ‘Summer Student Research Education Program’ application prior to the May 15th deadline date.
Students not returning to undergraduate or medical studies in the following fall/winter semester are eligible for the ‘Summer Student Research Education Program.’ Additionally, an investigator may submit multiple projects attached to multiple applicants.
Students are accepted into the Summer Student Research Education Program on a first-come basis. Students must be onsite and supervised by a faculty member associated with, WHRI, BCMHARI, BC Children's Hospital or BC Women's Hospital & Health Care Centre.
Signatures - Application forms require an applicant and supervisor signature. Electronic signatures are not accepted. To complete the application form, please print a copy, manually sign and scan as a PDF for submission. Note the UBC Research Project Information Form is not required for the Summer Student Research Education Program application.