Over the last 15 years I have developed a research interest into non-CF Bronchiectasis. This focused primarily on primary ciliary dyskinesia. I developed a new method for the evaluation of function of the microscopic hairs (cilia) which line the airways of the lung. This has been standardized and now used as an accepted method for the diagnosis of primary ciliary dyskinesia and research platform.
Cystic Fibrosis (CF) research is another significant research area. I am the PI on several clinical trials looking at new medications in CF patients.
I coordinate the CF clinic multidisciplinary research program and this is promoting research into nursing, physiotherapy, pharmacy and dietetic issues within CF. Current themes are transitional care to adulthood; physiotherapy interventions; location of CF care and outcome in adolescence and adherence to medication. We work closely with the adult CF clinic at St. Paul's on several joint projects.
1. O’Callaghan C, Sikand K, Chilvers MA. Analysis of ependymal ciliary beat pattern and beat frequency using high speed imaging: comparison with the photomultiplier and photodiode methods. Cilia 2012, 1:8
2. McDougall CM, Culham G, Seear MD, Chilvers MA. Superior herniation of the mediastinum presenting as an anterior neck mass on straining. Pediatr Pulmonol. 2012 Jul;47(7):710-2.
3. Gravelle AM, Davidson G, Chilvers M. Cystic Fibrosis adolescent transition care in Canada: a snapshot of current practice. Paediatrics & Child Health Dec 2012 (in press).
4. Davidson AGF, Chilvers MA, Lillquist YP. Effects of a Pseudomonas aeruginosa eradication policy in a cystic fibrosis clinic. Curr Opin Pulm Med. 2012 Sep 15. [Epub ahead of print]
5. Tang A, Sharma A, Jen R, Hirschfeld AG, Chilvers MA, Lavoie PM, Turvey SE. Inflammasome-mediated IL-1ß production in humans with cystic fibrosis. PLoS One.2012; 7(5):e37689. Epub 2012 May 23.
6. Luu K, Chilvers M. Chronic cough in a Vietnamese adolescent: Should we be sweating? Paediatr Child Health. 2011 Oct;16(8):465-6.
7. Blohmke CJ, Park J, Hirschfeld AF, Victor RE, Schneiderman J, Stefanowicz D, Chilvers MA, Durie PR, Corey M, Zielenski J, Dorfman R, Sandford AJ, Daley D, Turvey SE. TLR5 as an anti-inflammatory target and modifier gene in cystic fibrosis. J Immunol. 2010 Dec 15;185(12):7731-8. Epub 2010 Nov 10.
8. Prestidge C, Chilvers MA, Davidson AG, Cho E, McMahon V, White CT. Renal function in pediatric cystic fibrosis patients in the first decade of life. Pediatr Nephrol. 2010 Dec 29. [Epub ahead of print]
9. McIlwaine M, Wong LT, Chilvers M, Davidson AG. Long-Term Comparative Trial of Two Different Physiotherapy Techniques; Postural Drainage With Percussion and Autogenic Drainage, in the treatment of Cystic Fibrosis. Pediatr Pulmonol. 2010;45(11):1064-9
10. Stannard WA, Chilvers MA, Rutman AR, Williams CD, O'Callaghan C . Diagnostic testing of patients suspected of primary ciliary dyskinesia. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2010 Feb 15;181(4):307-14.