Each year, approximately 17 studentships are given to top ranked students based on scholarly achievement, scientific merit of the proposed project, and the potential benefits applicants will gain from the experience.
Funding is provided for an optional 8, 10 or 12-week period between May and August. Students receive a stipend of $4.725.00 for 12 weeks, $3,937.00 for 10 weeks and $3,150 for 8 weeks.The average GPA for BCCHR studentship winners is approximately 80%.
- The applicant must be a current undergraduate or medical student registered at a recognized university
- Returning in the fall to continue their current program. Undergraduate students graduating in spring/summer are ineligible to apply for the studentship but may apply to be part of the Summer Student Research Program as an externally (non-BC Children's Hospital) funded participant.
- Primary supervisor is a BCCHR Investigator at BC Children’s Hospital whose area of investigation has direct relevance to improving the health of children and families. Affiliate Investigators are not eligible as per the BCCHR membership guidelines.
- A Canadian citizen, permanent resident or foreign national. Out-of province and international applicants are welcome to apply but please note the proper work/student permit and a Social Insurance Number from Service Canada is required.
- Working onsite and available to attend at least 75% of the Research Education Program in June & July. The start date and end date will need to planned accordingly. Studentships may be withdrawn if the applicant does not participate in the Research Education Program.
An investigator may submit only one project attached to one applicant. Students may apply for only one project attached to one investigator. Investigators must provide whatever space, supplies or resources the student requires to complete the project.
Students are encouraged to apply for all other relevant summer student awards and discuss alternative funding sources with their supervisor. Please see the Program Application FAQs for more information.
To apply, download the BCCHR Research Summer Studentship application below. The deadline for submitting a complete application will be Friday, February 28, 2020.
All award application forms are formatted as fillable Adobe PDF's that can be saved. The application package will download as a Zip file. After clicking the link to download the application, the browser window should ask to Open or Save the file from bcchr.ca.
Is your default set to show PDF files with Preview or an Internet Browser window? You will get an error message that reads 'Please wait...if this message is not eventually replaced by the proper contents of your document, your PDF viewer may not be able to display this type of document.' To avoid this, open Adobe Acrobat on your desktop, select File > Open to access the application.
For more information on the application process, please contact email@example.com.