Mini Med School is Coming to Vancouver Island!
Each year, this travelling program gives participants the opportunity to engage with world-class researchers and clinicians. Hosted by the BC Children’s Hospital Research Institute, this popular program uses big ideas, big discoveries and big names to engage high school students and teachers in exploring health research topics.
At Mini Med School Victoria and Nanaimo, students will learn about the latest in biomedical and clinical research through lectures with live demonstrations and hands-on experience that inspire and motivate further learning.
Who attends Mini Med School BC?
- Grades 10-12 students with a passion for health science and research
- Teachers are invited but are not required to attend
What should participants expect?
- Investigation into timely topics, cutting-edge approaches, novel technologies and new research findings
- Interaction with world-class scientists and health professionals
- Exploration of health research career opportunities
- To leave informed, engaged and excited about research!
What else do I need to know?
- Admission is free but space is limited
- This is a special event held outside the classroom. It will be hosted on a school day, and registered students will be expected to make their own arrangements to miss a day of classes
- Mini Med School is not intended to be a class field trip
- Transportation to the venue is not provided
- Attendees will be encouraged to participate in supervised clinical activities and should be comfortable around a variety of samples and specimens found in a clinical laboratory environment
- Schedules for both sessions are very similar. Please plan to register for only Victoria OR Nanaimo
In 2017, Mini Med School expanded beyond the Lower Mainland for the first time to Terrace. One hundred students from northern BC took part in this award-winning science education program. Over the past two years, Mini Med School was held in Fort St. John, Kamloops and Williams Lake. Our faculty are excited to be travelling to Victoria and Nanaimo in 2020. Where to next? Mini Med School will be on the road for years to come!