Are you interested in exploring the latest discoveries and innovations in health research?
High school students throughout BC can now experience Mini Med School online at any time and from anywhere. Participants in our self-directed program are also eligible to receive an electronic certificate of participation by submitting the Mini Med School Online program form.
How does it work?
- Visit the Mini Med School Video Library and select a recent series you are interested in exploring. This includes:
- Mini Med School 2022: The Developing Mind — Child and Adolescent Mental Health
- Mini Med School 2021: Discoveries in Diabetes — A Century of Innovation
- Mini Med School 2020: Go with Your Gut — The Microbiome, Good Bacteria and Your Health
- Mini Med School 2019: Beyond a Cure — Pediatric Cancer Research
- Mini Med School 2018: Healthy Starts for a Healthy Life
- Mini Med School 2017: Surgery — Past, Present, and Future
- Mini Med School 2016: Genetic Counselling — Leading the Integration of Genetics into Clinical Care
- Depending on the series you choose, it will consist of 4-6 sessions you’ll need to watch.
- Complete the Mini Med School Online program form and answer the required questions.
- Submit the form. If you’re eligible, the Mini Med School Team will follow-up with an electronic certificate of participation. Please note: it could take up to 2 weeks to receive the certificate in your inbox.
Who can participate?
Any grade 8-12 student who is currently enrolled in a BC secondary school. Participants will need access to a computer, tablet or smartphone and a stable internet connection to watch the videos.
Participants will also need to have a sponsor teacher or parent/guardian to support their program form (detailed below).
What is required for the program form?
To complete the Mini Med School Online program form, you will be asked to provide the following:
- Your personal information including your name, email, grade and school.
- The name and email of a parent/guardian or sponsor teacher. This is someone who knows you personally and, if needed, could verify you watched all the sessions.
- Short paragraph answers (200 words or less) for questions regarding the research topics discussed in your chosen Mini Med School Online series. If applicable, refer to particular sessions or speakers in your answers. These questions include:
- What research topic or idea presented in this series did you find the most intriguing? How would you explain it to your friends or family to get them as excited and interested as you?
- Why do you think ongoing research in this area is so valuable and impactful? What would the consequences be if this research was discontinued?
- What do you think is the biggest challenge researchers in this area will face in the future?
- What key questions did you ask after watching this series? What have you learned in attempting to answer these questions on your own?
Do you need more time to complete the Mini Med School Online program form? Select ‘Save & Return Later’ at the bottom of the form webpage. To return to the program form, you’ll need to write down your Return Code and provide your email for your personalized survey link.
Do you have more questions? Check out the Mini Med School Online FAQs or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.